Find sorting and ‘Bayeux’ Tapestry workshop has taken place. The
results were very interesting..
Part of the Jorvik festival,
Some hands-on archaeology activities will be running as a part of the Festival -
A great family activity.
Times Sunday 18 Feb 10 –3, Monday 18 Feb 9-1
Place At Fulford Social Hall. This is on School Lane in Fulford. There is lots
of parking opposite in the new school and library complex.
Entrance free. Refreshments available for sale.
- Come along and help sort the thousands of finds recovered during the
Battle of Fulford Project.
- We have identified some weapons from the period and now we want to go
through the whole collection to see if we can find more.
- We need your help to photograph and weigh and record all of the material for
publication later this year.
- We took samples of pottery from each area and these need washing and
identifying. If you have an old toothbrush please bring it along to scrub some
No experience necessary – Experts are on hand to advise and assist.
Yorkshire Bayeux Tapestry
- We need to prepare more threads for the embroidery project.
- The threads need to be bundled, prepared in mordant and then dyed.
- You can do some embroidery samplers or even have a go putting some stitches into
the tapestry itself.
- The full 5 metre coloured print of the tapestry design
will be on display for
the first time in York.
- Posters explaining the work we have done and what happened here in September
1066, a few weeks before the clash at Hastings.
- Regular short talk to tell you about the battle and introduce the activities in
This event has happened - we had a great turn out and thanks to
everybody who helped.
The work is indoors but if you plan to take part in any find cleaning please
wear appropriate clothing.
The hall is fully accessible with all mod cons!